Denver is one of those rare locations where outdoor activities last 365 days a year. From backpacking to biking and everything in between, people in “The Centennial State” don’t sit still. While physical activity is part of a healthy lifestyle, it can result in neck pain if proper precautions are not taken.
Neck pain is one of the major musculoskeletal conditions that plague individuals across the globe. In a 2012 study funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), 272 trial participants were divided into three groups for treatment of chronic neck pain.
- Group #1 – Received therapy from a doctor of chiropractic
- Group #2 – Pain medication was administered
- Group #3 – Exercises were recommended
After 12 weeks of treatment, 57 percent of individuals who received treatment from a chiropractor reported at least 75 percent improvement in neck pain. This is compared to a 48 percent improvement from the exercise group and a 33 percent improvement of people receiving medication treatment.
Who Suffers from Neck Pain
In another study with the NIH, estimates say as high as 75 percent of the world’s adult population suffers from neck pain at some point in their life.
In the United States, neck pain is regularly associated with:
- Diseases relating to cardiovascular, respiratory, and gastrointestinal diseases.
Other common roots of neck pain can be caused by:
- Abnormalities in bones and joints
- Poor posture
- Degenerative disease
- Muscle strain
Common Symptoms of Neck Pain
As neck pain rates are expected to increase in the coming decades, it is important to seek treatment when issues arise. Delaying or ignoring cervical vertebrae pain can develop into greater health concerns if left untreated. See a medical professional if your neck pain is associated with any of these symptoms:
- Prolonged pain (more than three days)
- Numbness or tingling in the arms/hands
- Throat pain
- Difficulty lifting or gripping (weakness of arms)
How to Treat Neck Pain Naturally
Neck pain can often be resolved and better treated without the use of medication. Having regular chiropractic adjustments, in addition to frequent home strengthening exercises, keeps your spine aligned and balanced.
Chiropractic Treatment Techniques
The method of treatments by a chiropractor varies case by case. As neck pain for individuals stems from different causes and locations, treatment is personalized to fit the needs of the specific patient.
- Flexion-Distraction Technique: Manipulation involves a gentle pumping action on the intervertebral disc.
- Instrument-Assisted Manipulation: A hand-held instrument that allows chiropractors to apply force without pushing directly into the spine.
- Specific Spinal Manipulation: Helps restore joint movement using a soft trusting procedure.
- Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Therapy: The use of instruments to treat soft tissue muscle tension.
- Manual Joint Stretching: The movement of joints in specific directions to loosen and alleviate pain.
- Therapeutic Massage: Used to relax the pull and strain of muscles upon the body.
- Trigger Point Therapy: Identifies the location of pain and relieves the ache through targeted massage, stretching, or other necessary adjustments.
- Inferential Electrical Stimulation: Low-frequency electrical currents are sent into the tissue to stimulate neck muscles.
- Ultrasound: Sound waves pass through the soft tissue and painful joints to break up scar tissue and alleviate pain.
Three Stretches to Relieve Neck Pain
Strengthening both core and neck muscles can help prevent and alleviate neck pain. A chiropractor will help walk you through a personalized treatment plan following adjustment at his/her practice.
(Regular neck stretches can help strengthen and eliminate neck pain.)
Here are three stretches to help treat neck pain:
- Behind the Back Neck Stretch: Standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, reach both hands behind your back, grabbing either wrist with the opposing hand. With your hand that is gripping your opposite wrist, pull it away from your back, straightening your arms. Tilt your head to your right shoulder and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat on the opposite side. [Three Sets]
- Seated Heart Opener: Sitting on your heels, lean back and place your palms on the floor roughly 10 inches behind you. With your hands pointing away from your body, push down on the ground, opening your chest towards the sky and lowering your head behind you. Stay in this position for 30 seconds. [Three Sets]
- Seated Neck Release: Sitting cross-legged on the floor, place one hand out from your body and rest it on the ground. Take your opposite hand and place it on the opposing ear (right hand, left ear). Gently pull your head to the corresponding arm side, hold for 30 seconds while applying pressure. Switch sides. [Three Sets]
Reinhardt Chiropractic is Looking Out For Your Neck
As a natural body therapy for neck pain, cervical vertebrae adjustments often help patients live more pain-free and relaxed.
Upon entering our clinic, the doctor will conduct a full exam of your situation and spine health to determine any restricted movements, the condition of your posture, and alignment issues. After completion of a physical exam, the doctor may require further testing via X-rays or an MRI to help better pinpoint the source of pain.
Through a combination of treatments and lifestyle adjustments, Dr. Reinhardt and his team can help alleviate your neck pain. Schedule an appointment today to receive a personalized treatment and healing plan!
A Chiropractor for Kids? Is It Safe?
August 27, 2021
As parents, we always want what’s best for our children. Unfortunately, when it comes to medical care, there’s not always a clear choice. There are many philosophies, ideas, and even old wives tales on the best way to keep your kids healthy. If you are considering finding a chiropractor for your kids, in an effort
The Benefits of a Holistic Chiropractor
July 28, 2021
Holistic chiropractic care promotes complete healing from the inside out, without long courses of medication or invasive surgeries. An integrative treatment plan ensures full-body healing so that you can achieve optimal health and physical performance. Consistently rated as one of the best chiropractors in Denver, CO, Dr. Reinhardt is committed to a holistic approach for