If you’re new to the world of chiropractic care, you may be curious to know the vast array of diseases, conditions, and ailments that chiropractors can help prevent, eliminate, or even cure entirely.
To give you the short answer to if a chiropractor can help with Sciatica, like most detrimental conditions, the answer is yes. For a more detailed write-up, we suggest you read on.
What is Sciatica
Your sciatic nerve is the biggest and longest nerve in your entire body. The sciatic nerve runs all the way from the lower back to both of your feet on either side of the body. Sciatica occurs in the body when the sciatic nerve begins to compress.
Sciatica is often caused by irritation of the roots in the lower lumbar (back) and lumbosacral spine. Many times, your sciatic irritation will be due to a more primary cause that is triggering the compression.
Symptoms of Sciatica
- Pain on one Side of the Gluteus Maximus (buttock muscle)
- Lower Back Pain or Numbness / Tingling in Lower Back
- Pain in the back of Leg, Hip, or Rear gets more Intense when Sitting
- Difficulty Moving Lower Extremities
Causes of Sciatica
- Bulging disc
- Poor Posture
- Heavy Lifting
- Physical Injuries, Sports Injuries, Car Accidents, etc.
- Spinal Stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back)
- Degenerative Disc Disease (breakdown of discs)
- Spondylolisthesis (overlapping discs)
How a Chiropractor can Help with Sciatica
Chiropractors have several ways of assisting with sciatica and many other common medical issues. Chiropractors perform treatments with the intention to assist the patient’s body in healing itself. Another benefit of using a chiropractor is that they are completely non-invasive, or do not use surgery.
Before you ever go through treatment at a Chiropractor for your sciatica you’ll need to get to the cause of your issue. If you’re discovering you have sciatica for the first time you’ll need to undergo certain tests to find the root cause of your issue.
If your Primary Care Physician has recommended Chiropractic care, you more than likely already know the cause of your sciatica and can move forward with treatment.
Treatments a Chiropractor Uses to Help Sciatica
Depending on what the root cause is, the form of treatment will vary. Typically, a Chiropractor will perform one or a combination of the following four treatments to combat your sciatica.
- Spinal Manipulation / Adjustments: The core of chiropractic care, spinal manipulation and adjustments free restricted movement on the spine and assist in re-aligning out of place vertebrae. Spinal adjustments assist with lessening nerve irritability like that caused by sciatica.
- Spinal Decompression: This treatment takes pressure off the pinched nerves and other structures by gently stretching the spine.
- Physical Therapy: Often used in conjunction with chiropractic care, physical therapy is treatment and exercises concerned with the remediation of your impairment. This helps to educate and restore you to your former active lifestyle.
- TENS / Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation: A muscle stimulating machine designed to apply variable intensities of electrical current to control acute pain and reduce muscle spasms. TENS systems are widely used by many doctors and can assist with sciatica.
- Ultrasound: Lightly applied heat produced by sound waves that penetrate deep into the body’s tissue. Ultrasound can assist with many things, but especially with thwarting the stiffness and pain caused by sciatica.
- Hot/Cold Therapy: Therapy that uses heat or cold applications to reduce swelling and sciatic pain.
Take Care of Your Health
Are you considering you may have sciatica after this article? Have you been battling with sciatica for years and are looking for a new route? Don’t hesitate to call Dr. Reinhardt for a diagnosis today! Dr. Reinhardt is certified to diagnose and help treat your sciatica non-invasively. It’s our goal at Reinhardt Chiropractic to guide your body with proven chiropractic treatments.
The Benefits of a Holistic Chiropractor
July 28, 2021
Holistic chiropractic care promotes complete healing from the inside out, without long courses of medication or invasive surgeries. An integrative treatment plan ensures full-body healing so that you can achieve optimal health and physical performance. Consistently rated as one of the best chiropractors in Denver, CO, Dr. Reinhardt is committed to a holistic approach for
The Health Concerns That Come With Sitting Too Much
July 1, 2021
Sitting too much is pervasive in modern life. Physical labor is not a given for most of us. The many ways technology has made life easier and more amusing, have also landed us in a seat, and more than ever before. The COVID-19 pandemic compounded that by keeping us at home, closing gyms, and disrupting